Jun 5, 2007

Paint'd

Whoops. I went away there briefly. But I'm back now with a small visual lesson. Recently I read that if you aren't satisfied with a piece you should try again; start over.

This sounds pretty obvious, but more often than not if something I did wasn't working I'd either move to something else (something easier, no doubt) or get too frustrated to make anything work. There were times when, with the mindset of "I did this wrong", that I could try the same piece 100 times and they'd all be lacking.

When I read this, suddenly the concept made sense. It's all about a state of mind. If you do something you're not satisfied with, do it again. BUT instead of the "I can't do it" mindset, give yourself the "this time will be better" mindset. It's easy to quit after not getting something right off the bat. I'm certainly victim to that.

Keep trying, though. Something will come out if your mindset is positive. Here are two pieces that solidified that idea for me.






The first: I was experimenting in Corel Painter and drew this...thing. It was just an experiment and at first I was a little proud, simply because I got the program to produce something. No small feat for a non-painter.

Of course, 10 minutes later I started disliking it...a lot. Then came the application of that idea try it again and make it better. I went into another, brand new flower painting WITH A HOPEFUL ATTITUDE and produced the following...


















Again, I'm no painter, but it looks a hell of a lot better than the last one. It's things like this that give me hope. Stay positive, folks.





Until Next Time.



No comments: